Answers Your Questions on Healthcare
Question: What insurance companies cover Christian Science care?
Answer: I read a recent blog at christianscience.com that I recommend. It offers some good answers to the question, “Where is Christian Science care currently covered in public and private insurance?” The broad categories listed include:
- Medicare at 17 Christian Science facilities (And Medicaid is offered at a few of these facilities as well)
- If you work for the federal government as a civilian employee you have the option of choosing from four Federal Employee Health Benefit (FEHB) plans
- If you are a member of the armed forces or a dependent of a member of the armed forces, you may qualify for the TRICARE insurance program
- If you are a state employee in 9 states then Christian Science nursing/practitioner care may be available to you under your state employee insurance plan
- Individuals who have health savings accounts (HSA’s) and contribute money to them, may use those pre-tax dollars to pay for Christian Science nursing/practitioner care.
- Several private insurance plans and self-insured companies.
For specific contact information on many of these categories, see our Medicare and Insurance Information on the Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association website. We also provide more detail on private insurance plans that are currently available such as:
- Group health – a number of employers cover Christian Science care in company plans. Talk to your human resources department about coverage for Christian Science nursing/practitioner care if it is not currently covered. Also check member organizations such as Chamber of Commerce for Christian Science care coverage.
- Indemnity plans such as AARP Health and SCS pay a fixed rate for in-patient services and in the case of SCS – other services
- Medigap/Medicare Supplement – Medigap policies work in conjunction with Medicare benefits. They generally pay for Christian Science nursing charges that Medicare doesn’t cover (such as deductibles) and when Medicare benefits are exhausted but the patient continues to qualify for Medicare. Most Medigap policies may be used at the BA and at other Christian Science nursing facilities that are Medicare providers.
- HMO (Health Maintenance Organizations) – HMOs do not usually provide Christian Science benefits. Tufts Health Plan in Massachusetts and Rhode Island now offers a Christian Science rider for employer policies covering 50+ employees.
We’re always happy to answer your specific questions about Medicare and insurance with Christian Science care coverage. Email or call us at any time.