The BA was founded in 1916 in response to Mary Baker Eddy’s call for skilled Christian Science nursing to support those relying on Christian Science for healing. It is located on 24.2 acres of gardens and woodlands within minutes of downtown Boston.
Employees enjoy housing in surrounding communities, on the campus itself in the Carriage House apartments (for Journal-listed Christian Science nurses), or in rooms in the historic Original Building. On-site staff housing is subject to availability. Restaurants, shopping, and theaters are within walking distance.
The Boston area is home to a community of Christian Scientists, many of whom work in the Christian Science movement. The Mother Church is just minutes away, and there are a number of branch churches in the surrounding area. The Longyear Museum is located just across the street from the BA.